From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:18:44
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > In this field the arguments go round and round, however, and never
5 > change.
6
7 That's the definition of dogma.
8
9 Things always keep changing; Linux has little to do with PDP-{7,11}
10 Unix, and it has evolved (and will continue to do so) thanks to
11 developers not thinking that "rules of thumb" hold the universal
12 truth. Which, again, would be dogma.
13
14 Vertical integration has its merits when you want to bound the
15 integration tests. So it does non-portability when you don't want to
16 conform to the minimum common set of features. So it does binary
17 formats when you care for performance. I could go on, but as I said, I
18 will not rehash the same discussion from gentoo-user and million other
19 places.
20
21 So, I will finish with this: if you really believe that there are no
22 more new arguments for new paradigms and design principles, and that
23 PDP-11 Unix is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, then
24 go out and find and kill Buddha, please.
25
26 Regards.
27 --
28 Canek Peláez Valdés
29 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias