From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 32-bit-app 3D acceleration on amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:47:57
1 Michael Kjorling posted <438f15e1.4a1f4b90@××××××××××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:25:21 +0000:
3
4 > On 2005-12-01 08:42 -0600, brett@××××.com wrote:
5 >> I guess I missed that part. If he is trying to run X in a
6 >> chroot32 environment, I am not sure. I run X in native 64
7 >
8 > X runs in native 64 bit mode, it's the 32-bit applications that are
9 > the exception, and 32-bit binary-only even more so. When I run
10 > glxinfo, it says (among many other things):
11 >
12 > direct rendering: Yes
13 > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20040929 AGP 4x TCL
14 >
15 > So DRI is working in 64-bit mode (and 64-bit 3D applications, Tuxracer
16 > being one example, can use it just fine).
19 >> I was assuming the Xorg.0.log snippet he posted was from 64
20 >> bit mode, and that was what was having problems initalizing
21 >> DRI.
22 >
23 > The problem is with running the 32-bit binary (which needs 32-bit
24 > direct rendering support to run at a usable speed) in an otherwise
25 > 64-bit environment. It executes just fine, only dreadfully slow.
26
27 OK, I'm running extreme resolution dual monitors (1600x1200 or 2048x1536
28 x two monitors) so don't get 3D accel anyway, neither do I run many games
29 (or anything else) in 32-bit mode, so no personal experience here.
30 However...
31
32 If 64-bit is working and 32-bit isn't, you obviously have something
33 missing for 32-bit mode. Have you verified that you have all necessary
34 32-bit compatibility lib binaries merged? This would be the
35 app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* series of ebuilds. In particular,
36 emul-linux-x86-xlibs would need to be merged. If it's already merged,
37 then perhaps merge the others (using tab-completion or esearch or whatever
38 to figure out what's there to emerge), just to be sure. You certainly
39 won't need all of them, but particularly when installing binary-only
40 32-bit stuff, it might be easier to simply merge all the 32-bit support
41 libraries and have them available, than to figure out what's missing.
42
43 There's also the possibility that xorg didn't build needed in 32-bit DRM
44 portions as well, but I wouldn't have the foggiest how to go about
45 figuring that out except by either doing the chroot 32-bit thing, or the
46 unfreedomware binary-only driver. Of course, if you are already willing
47 to run slaveryware games... Still, games are userspace, the drivers will
48 be kernelspace. There's a big difference.
49
50 Anyway, with luck, the 32-bit emulation libs will solve your issue and you
51 won't have to worry about the other.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
57 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list