From: Michael Kjorling <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 32-bit-app 3D acceleration on amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:10:29
1 On 2005-12-01 14:42 -0700, 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net wrote:
2 > If 64-bit is working and 32-bit isn't, you obviously have something
3 > missing for 32-bit mode. Have you verified that you have all necessary
4 > 32-bit compatibility lib binaries merged? This would be the
5 > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* series of ebuilds. In particular,
6
7 I checked this and was missing two: emul-linux-x86-{media,qt}libs, so
8 merged those "just in case". Also re-emerged emul-linux-x86-xlibs but
9 that didn't seem to change anything.
10
11 If I run my 32-bit chroot jail glxinfo from within the 64-bit
12 environment (same as I try to run NWN), it clearly says "direct
13 rendering: No", which would certainly explain the crappy performance I
14 am getting (on the order of 2-3 frames per second, tops). Setting
15 LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to within the 32-bit chroot
16 doesn't help.
19 > There's also the possibility that xorg didn't build needed in 32-bit DRM
20 > portions as well, but I wouldn't have the foggiest how to go about
21 > figuring that out except by either doing the chroot 32-bit thing, or the
22
23 I tried emerging NWN in the chroot, but since DRI requires
24 kernel-level code and I have absolutely no idea how a 64-bit kernel
25 would take to a 32-bit module, I did not go down that path.
26
27 > unfreedomware binary-only driver. Of course, if you are already willing
28 > to run slaveryware games... Still, games are userspace, the drivers will
29 > be kernelspace. There's a big difference.
30
31 There is an even bigger difference: my system is usable without a
32 specific game (NWN in this case) whereas, even though I technically
33 speaking *can* use the system without X11, I cannot perform the tasks
34 I need to daily without a working graphical environment.
37 > Anyway, with luck, the 32-bit emulation libs will solve your issue and you
38 > won't have to worry about the other.
39
40 Well, apparently, I didn't get lucky.
43 Michael Kjörling, michael@××××××××.com - http://michael.kjorling.com/
44 * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
45 * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *