From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Turion64 X2 k8temp temperatures.
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:07:21
1 On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:37:02 -0400
2 Bob Slawson <bslawson@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Ângelo Miguel Arrifano wrote:
5 >
6 > > I made a simple daemon to scale cpu frequency in case temperature exceeds a predefined threshold.
7 > > Although my question is if these temperatures looks correct and I should trust them.
8 >
9 > No. These are not _physical_ temperatures and, last time I looked, AMD did not
10 > provide a calibration between these and the real world. The numbers seem to be
11 > at least 15C above a reasonable CPU die cover temperature on my Opteron 250s:
12 > I've seen them hit 80 according to k8temp on a hot day under full load without
13 > throttling back whereas 65 C or so is the recommended limit.
14 >
15 > BobS
18 > --
19 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
22 15C above a reasonable CPU temperature seems alright for me.
23 In that case I wont use the daemon.. And just trust CPU overtemperature protection in case
24 CPU temperature gets too high :D
25
26 Thanks!
27
28 PS: For those who might be reading, I'm with a HP dv6535ep laptop.
29 --
30 Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
31 CSE Student at UBI, Portugal
32 Gentoo Linux AMD64 Arch Tester
33 miknix@×××××.com
34 http://miknix.homelinux.com
35 PGP Pubkey online
36
37 - -
38 There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
39 -- George Bernard Shaw
40 --
41 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list