From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:16:24
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:37:58 -0500
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> This last part is important; if you don't like systemd, bitching about
7 >> it will do nothing: you have to use and contribute to the
8 >> alternatives. Linux (and Gentoo) are about choice, as long as there is
9 >> someone willing and able to provide that choice; no one will
10 >> (necessarily) provide that choice for you out of nothing.
13 > The kind of choice I am speaking about is the choice of "rolling
14 > your own." I want to be able to control and customize my system
15 > in a way that I deem fit. The kernel, after it loads and does its
16 > initialization thing, passes control onto an arbitrary program for
17 > further configuration. This simple design allows extreme versatility
18 > and customization for those who want it while also permitting more
19 > complex schemes as well.
20
21 To "roll your own", somebody needs to provide the parts, and test that
22 the integration works. Nobody (necessarily) will do it for you; and
23 you can contribute by testing the parts you use and the integration
24 among them. You can use OpenRC + eudev + ubus + Xfce, help detect the
25 problems in them, and help reporting the issues when they don't work
26 correctly together.
27
28 If you don't do it, and nobody else does, then don't act surprised if
29 eventually everybody uses systemd, because there is people working on
30 it and testing it in different configurations.
31
32 > In this case, there is no contribution to be made. There can only
33 > be a rant about leaving things the way they are.
34
35 Wrong: see above.
36
37 > How do you feel about the accuracy of the following statements which
38 > are taken from a related web page at http://uselessd.darknedgy.net ?
39
40 It's a bunch of (very entertaining) FUD. To me, it losses all
41 credibility when it ascertains "Distro maintainers are lazy". Well
42 then, I expect that he maintains his own distro.
43
44 Also, I find it highly ironic that, after *years* of bashing systemd
45 and its design, when *no other* init system seems able to be a proper
46 competition, the next thing the systemd-haters try is to announce a
47 brand new init... by forking systemd. So, its design is not so bad
48 after all, right? Otherwise, they would have started from scratch.
49
50 > "Most core Linux applications and even the kernel are developed by
51 > a handful of companies, largely by Red Hat (who inherited much of the
52 > work on GNU after acquiring Cygnus Solutions, thus also leading GNOME
53 > and various other projects), who also support the opaque Freedesktop.org
54 > standards.
55
56 FUD. In systemd (and GNOME, for that matter) work people from *many*
57 companies; RedHat is obviously among them, but it also has developers
58 from Mageia, ProFusion (recently acquired by Intel), Canonical, Suse,
59 Collabora, Sun, IBM, etc., etc., etc. Also, it has contributors from
60 basically every distribution out there (including Gentoo). You can get
61 a list of contributors from the git repository using:
62
63 git log --format='%aN'
64
65 and then you don't need to trust anyone, but the code itself.
66
67 > "systemd is designed to be perpetually rolling software, not all that
68 > different from a kernel in user space, as was elucidated in a 2014 GNOME
69 > Asia talk. It has no clearly defined purpose beyond that other than the
70 > vague 'basic building block to make an OS from' ...
71
72 I actually agree with systemd being perpetually rolling software, but
73 I think it's a good thing. Gentoo itself is a rolling released
74 distribution; systemd fits perfectly with our distro; I've been using
75 it since 2010 in servers, desktops, laptops and everything I can put
76 it on, like my media center.
77
78 I don't know right now, but there was a point when I was pretty sure
79 systemd worked better on Gentoo than on Fedora. It's possible that
80 it's the case now.
81
82 Lastly, if someone sees "basic building block to make an OS from" like
83 something "vague", then she should do her homework.
84
85 > "The end goal appears to be the creation of what we dub a Grand Unified
86 > Linux Operating System (GULOS) and the destruction of the Linux distribution
87 > altogether beyond cosmetic changes. GnomeOS, in particular. The latter is
88 > actually a thing that GNOME aspire to accomplish."
89
90 I think unification among distributions is an excellent goal, but it
91 doesn't mean that distros will lose its identity. They will just work
92 better between them.
93
94 Also, I think there will be always distributions that will work with
95 SysV, or OpenRC, or what have you. It's Free Software.
96
97 > IMO such planning and goals are slowly taking over the Linux ecosystem.
98 > After all, RedHat cannot offer a fragmented and "hobbyist" OS to its paying
99 > corporate clients. Only a "Grand Unified Linux OS," a la Microsoft Windows,
100 > can compete in a professional market, and RedHat will thus lead the way in
101 > destroying the simplicity of Linux.
102
103 Sorry, but I call it FUD. Truth is, everything in this discussion
104 (systemd, OpenRC, Linux, GNOME, even uselessd) is Free Software.
105 Therefore, nothing is stopping anyone to take the software and
106 stripping out the things they don't like about it... which, BTW, is
107 exactly what the guy in uselessd is doing.
108
109 > These trends should be alarming to us all.
110
111 Why? Because developers are writing software as best as they think
112 they can? You cannot stop any developer from writing whatever the hell
113 they want and releasing it as Free Software. You cannot stop users
114 from using said software. You cannot stop distro maintainers from
115 deciding that software X or Y is the best option for a distribution.
116
117 In the Free Software world, you cannot stop anyone from nothing. The
118 only thing you can do is providing more software, or helping someone
119 else to provide it.
120
121 Which brings me back to my original post. Don't like systemd? Help the
122 competition.
123
124 Otherwise you can of course rant, but in the end that will do nothing.
125
126 Regards.
127 --
128 Canek Peláez Valdés
129 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias