From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:31:07
1 On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:37:58 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > This last part is important; if you don't like systemd, bitching about
6 > it will do nothing: you have to use and contribute to the
7 > alternatives. Linux (and Gentoo) are about choice, as long as there is
8 > someone willing and able to provide that choice; no one will
9 > (necessarily) provide that choice for you out of nothing.
12 The kind of choice I am speaking about is the choice of "rolling
13 your own." I want to be able to control and customize my system
14 in a way that I deem fit. The kernel, after it loads and does its
15 initialization thing, passes control onto an arbitrary program for
16 further configuration. This simple design allows extreme versatility
17 and customization for those who want it while also permitting more
18 complex schemes as well.
19
20 In this case, there is no contribution to be made. There can only
21 be a rant about leaving things the way they are.
22
23 How do you feel about the accuracy of the following statements which
24 are taken from a related web page at http://uselessd.darknedgy.net ?
25
26 "Most core Linux applications and even the kernel are developed by
27 a handful of companies, largely by Red Hat (who inherited much of the
28 work on GNU after acquiring Cygnus Solutions, thus also leading GNOME
29 and various other projects), who also support the opaque Freedesktop.org
30 standards.
31
32 "systemd is designed to be perpetually rolling software, not all that
33 different from a kernel in user space, as was elucidated in a 2014 GNOME
34 Asia talk. It has no clearly defined purpose beyond that other than the
35 vague 'basic building block to make an OS from' ...
36
37 "The end goal appears to be the creation of what we dub a Grand Unified
38 Linux Operating System (GULOS) and the destruction of the Linux distribution
39 altogether beyond cosmetic changes. GnomeOS, in particular. The latter is
40 actually a thing that GNOME aspire to accomplish."
41
42 IMO such planning and goals are slowly taking over the Linux ecosystem.
43 After all, RedHat cannot offer a fragmented and "hobbyist" OS to its paying
44 corporate clients. Only a "Grand Unified Linux OS," a la Microsoft Windows,
45 can compete in a professional market, and RedHat will thus lead the way in
46 destroying the simplicity of Linux.
47
48 These trends should be alarming to us all.