From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:38:22
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > For any who need opposing information on systemd, check out the
3 > following web page:
4 >
5 > http://boycottsystemd.org
6 >
7 > This page was referenced on Slashdot recently and contains
8 > a good overview of the undesirability of systemd. Of course,
9 > Gentoo is mentioned as one of the few remaining distributions
10 > that still offer a choice.
11 >
12 > For me, point #7 is particularly odious:
13 >
14 > "7. systemd is viral by its very nature. Its scope in functionality
15 > and creeping in as a dependency to lots of packages means that distro
16 > maintainers will have to necessitate a conversion, or suffer a drift.
17 > As an example, the GNOME environment has adopted systemd as a hard
18 > dependency..."
19 >
20 > I do not oppose systemd. In fact, I'd rather not care about it in the least.
21 > But I want to be able to implement the boot process and system configuration
22 > in my own way and it seems that systemd will threaten that in the future.
23 >
24 > Take particular note of the end section "What You Can Do." There
25 > are plenty of alternatives and such an array of choices is what
26 > has always made Linux highly interesting, attractive, and useful.
27 > We all need to insist on keeping it this way.
28
29 This last part is important; if you don't like systemd, bitching about
30 it will do nothing: you have to use and contribute to the
31 alternatives. Linux (and Gentoo) are about choice, as long as there is
32 someone willing and able to provide that choice; no one will
33 (necessarily) provide that choice for you out of nothing.
34
35 Also, I would use better arguments than those stated in the posted
36 link: several of them are inaccurate, or even straight lies: in
37 particular to the mentioned point 7, it is false that GNOME has
38 adopted systemd as a hard dependency. That's just not true: GNOME 3
39 runs in {Open,Free}BSD just fine.
40
41 GNOME supports both systemd (logind, actually) *AND* ConsoleKit as
42 backends[2], so if you hear or read someone saying that GNOME depends
43 on systemd, that person is either spreading FUD, or showing her
44 ignorance.
45
46 Regards.
47
48 [1] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140219085851
49 [2] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-session/tree/configure.ac#n139
50 --
51 Canek Peláez Valdés
52 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias