From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:53:19
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> posted 4A3A621D.8010207@×××××.com, excerpted
6 > below, on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:49:49 +1000:
7 >
8 >> I'd rather say, because laptops are the majority now, dual monitor
9 >> support is going to be more important. I (and I'm sure many others)
10 >> prefer doing presentations from my own laptop, rather than using the
11 >> audience's computers (which always have issues with not having the
12 >> appropriate programs, etc; not to mention having to move the
13 >> presentation files, which is easier said than done).
14 >
15 > I thought that's what I /was/ saying, with the additional bit that dual
16 > desktop display probably never will become the majority, because desktops
17 > are losing the majority, so there's no time left for dual desktop
18 > displays to become the majority -- the majority is now laptop, and dual
19 > display with a laptop is much more common than it ever became on the
20 > desktop.
21
22 Ah I see, I didn't notice you're saying it is dual monitor desktop that
23 is declining; instead of dual monitor setup.
24
25 >> One thing that always bugs me is that XRandR requires some
26 >> configuration[1] and X restart[2], which is a pity, since doing
27 >> presentations means setting up ad-hoc/temporary settings which is just
28 >> used for an hour or two, then tearing them apart again then doing that
29 >> again the next day, probably on a different venue.
30 >
31 > Well, in theory, you can setup the config once, and as long as the second
32 > display plugged in fits within the parameters set in the config, it'll be
33 > used as such, no X restart should be needed.
34
35 But that means there will always be a second "monitor" that you can't
36 see, but is accessible by programs and the mouse. After unplugging the
37 external display, this invisible monitor could be quite... disturbing[1].
38
39 [1] e.g. OpenOffice trying to start the presentation on the invisible
40 screen. I can switch the configuration to display on the current
41 monitor, but that makes the default autodetect setting useless. Most of
42 the problems are minor and silly, but still...
43
44 In fact, that was the best set up I could do. I figured out a way to
45 allow X to start with single monitor setting with h/w acceleration if
46 there is no external monitor connected; and starting with a different
47 configuration when there is external monitor. However switching between
48 these two configs still requires a restart. At least this is acceptable,
49 since the most time-consuming and head-consuming part is figuring out
50 the right configuration when everyone in the room is looking at you (I
51 had to do exactly that on one of my first presentations with Linux[2])
52
53 [2] the very next day, I pulled out my old monitor and experimented with
54 approximately two thousand settings, before coming to that acceptable
55 setting
56
57 > The other problem is that a lot of apps aren't particularly RandR aware
58 > yet, or only expect to be using it with a single monitor, so putting
59 > stuff in full-screen mode can have unexpected consequences, as it often
60 > changes the resolution for BOTH monitors, and either puts the full-screen
61 > app centered between them (but at the size of only one of them, so it's
62 > not really full-screen), or clones to both, instead of only cloning to
63 > one and leaving the other one alone.
64 >
65 > But that's not xorg's or RandR's problem, that's the application's
66 > problem. And with the appropriate scripted and hotkey invoked xrandr
67 > calls, as I have setup, it's relatively easy to get the system back to
68 > its proper configuration, even when the apps screw it up.
69
70 But the most significant problem is hardware compatibility, I have a
71 laptop that works great with xrandr... as long as it's a single monitor.
72
73 >> Mirrored is okay, but I prefer Xinerama/extended desktop. Now that
74 >> OpenOffice 3 starts having support for Presenter View (where the
75 >> projector displays the presentation and your laptop's your notes), not
76 >> being able to just plug the cable in and have the whole thing set up
77 >> automagically is a big loss.
78 >
79 > Indeed. My config is dual monitor desktop and I'm not a "mobile
80 > warrior", but I can certainly see the use for that in mobile warrior
81 > presentation situations.
82
83 It gets even worse when you're the fifth person to present and "getting
84 there early and make sure everything is set up" is a naive theory.
85
86 You only have around of 2-3 minutes before the audience is waiting too
87 long for presenter switching[3]. If things goes smooth, we only need to
88 connect the cable and press F5 to switch from editing to presenting; but
89 for now: connect the cable, restart X, make sure the configs are right,
90 start OpenOffice (since restarting X closed it), then F5.
91
92 [3] I have a special condition where I often have to do presentations
93 that is just around 10-15 minutes and there are a couple of other
94 presenters going before and after. This makes a 2-3 minutes a very long
95 delay.
96
97 >> [1] not to mention I never get all the settings right, either hardware
98 >> acceleration or Xinerama. A separate X display is acceptable, but still
99 >> no hardware acceleration.
100 >> [2] to move between single display to Xinerama and back.
101 >
102 > It'll be nice when the xrandr based graphical monitor/desktop config
103 > applets catchup, and Linux/X finally catches up to what MSWindows was
104 > doing over a decade ago back with Windows 98! Linux/X has been more
105 > flexible in some areas, but unfortunately, that has never been one of
106 > them. But it's getting there, FINALLY!