From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB auto mounting
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:31:32
1 sean posted on Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:03:14 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Using Windowmaker with Thunar as a file manager, with the volume manager
4 > in place and that plugin is enabled.
5 >
6 > For some reason Thunar is now not seeing any USB device when plugged in.
7 > I am not sure when this stopped working.
8 >
9 > My USB devices of keyboard, trackball, and webcam are working fine. If I
10 > "lsusb" I can see the flash drive listed when inserted.
11 >
12 > I have tried re-emerging various items hoping that it would bring it
13 > back to life. Obviously no luck since I am posting.
14 >
15 > Would anyone have any ideas on a possible cause and cure?
16
17 I'm a kde guy, no thunar experience here, but that sounds very much like
18 a hal problem to me. That's the area I'd investigate.
19
20 Hal can be tough to troubleshoot and fix. I've had a taste of that
21 myself when I switched to the hal based xorg input management using
22 evdev.
23
24 There is the lshal (list hal) command. Running that as your normal user
25 from a terminal window should spit out a whole bunch of info. I haven't
26 looked at mine in detail, but saw at the bottom 155 devices and there's
27 several lines of info about each, so you can imagine how long the output
28 was. If that produces an error, you know you're on the right track.
29
30 Meanwhile, someone else mentioned the plugdev and usb groups, but you
31 already checked that.
32
33 Then there's the "general gentoo troubleshooting question" that nobody
34 has mentioned yet: Have you run a revdep-rebuild recently? What were
35 the results? Note that if you don't run it regularly, you may have quite
36 a list of rebuilds to complete.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman