From: Chris <ecwh73@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: doomsday
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 05:03:35
1 >> The package in question is hard masked ~amd64
2 >
3 > It's not hard masked.  It's only keyword masked.  ~amd64 simply means it's
4 > currently in testing and not marked stable yet.  And actually, only the
5 > 1.9.0_beta68 of doomsday is in testing.  1.9.0_beta67 is not even keyword
6 > masked.
7 >
8 > Furthermore, your method of installing it:
9 >
10 >  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge doomsday
11 >
12 > is wrong.  This is only for testing whether it emerges OK and it will be
13 > unmerged again at your next world update.  You need to keyword the package
14 > in your package.keywords file/directory.
15
16 World updates are rare for me (once every 6 months if that). I come
17 from a slack distro and I'm accustomed to handling everything
18 directly. So I haven't automated system updates in any sort of fashion
19 either. As for this package I am currently in the beta stage you
20 could say, I just want to see it run, then I'll worry about getting
21 runtime configuration that will survive updates.
22
23 > And no, you can't compile in 32bit mode even if you were using a multilib
24 > profile.  Gentoo's multilib is not "real" multilib and won't let you build
25 > in 32bit mode.
26
27 Bah. That both sucks and blows. Hopefully I can compile beta67 amd64
28 and get it to run in console mode ( I just want to run a dedicated
29 server for fun ). Alternately I can throw gentoo onto another
30 box/vbox as a 32bit install in order to built this package and run it
31 on amd64 box which is always up.