From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: JRE - how to install one?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:17:03
1 On Sunday 03 September 2006 14:39, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: JRE - how to install one?':
3 > I don't have a Java installed as
4 > none of the options Gentoo provides for that are freedomware and I don't
5 > need it enough to bother researching it further.
6
7 Actually, kaffe (GPL-2 licenced) is now an option to satisfy many packages
8 dependencies on a 1.4 (generation-1) jvm/jre/jdk.
9
10 We still don't have a freedomware 1.5+ (generation-2) jvm/jre/jdk for
11 Gentoo, AFAIK.
14 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
15 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
16 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
17 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh