From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: JRE - how to install one?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:42:05
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200609031521.17514.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 03 Sep
3 2006 15:21:17 +0000:
4
5 > I'm trying to create a database in Open Office, which of course on
6 > ~amd64 is the binary version. When I tell it to create a new database it
7 > tells me it can't find a JRE, and please to restart OOo after installing
8 > one. So I go to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml and follow the
9 > instructions to install virtual/jre. [snip]
10
11 > !!! Error:
12 > Expected "/usr/share/java-config-2/nsplugin/sun-jdk-1.5-javaplugin.so"
13 > to exist, but it doesn't.
14 > !!! Error: Perhaps "sun-jdk-1.5" isn't a valid name of VM built with
15 > nsplugin?
16 > --
17 >
18 > Creating /usr/share/java-config-2/nsplugin/ manually doesn't help
19 > either.
20 >
21 > What am I doing wrong?
22
23 nsplugin refers to the mozilla/netscape browser plugin, and you aren't
24 using it for that so it shouldn't matter.
25
26 I don't use OO.o as I don't need it, and don't have a Java installed as
27 none of the options Gentoo provides for that are freedomware and I don't
28 need it enough to bother researching it further. However, from what I've
29 read about it, you've done everything right in general but for one thing
30 related specifically to OO.o on amd64.
31
32 Because the OO.o build is 32-bit binary, it apparently looks for a 32-bit
33 Java version, and doesn't see the 64-bit version. I've seen the solution
34 posted here in the past but don't recall exactly what it was. I'm
35 guessing it either involved a symlink placed appropriately so OO.o could
36 find and use the 64-bit version, or installation of a 32-bit version.
37
38 Hopefully someone will reply with more details, but that'll head
39 you in the right direction anyway, I believe.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list