From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:44:30
1 Tanstaafl posted on Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:15:50 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Why did udev *merge* with systemd, if there is no long term goal of
4 > completely and totally subsuming it such that you cannot use udev
5 > without also using systemd?
6 >
7 > Imnsho, since it is a KERNEL thingie, it should have been maintained as
8 > a totally separate package, or just admit the long term goal and be done
9 > with it.
10
11 Actually, the point of udev was /userland/ (not kernel) managed device
12 policy. The idea was to keep the policy out of the kernel, unlike the
13 now dead 2.4-kernel devfs. (Current kernels do contain a slight variant
14 of tmpfs called devtmpfs specific to devices, but that doesn't do policy;
15 it's designed to be managed by userspace, tho in the absence of a
16 userspace device manager, kernelspace will create default-named device-
17 nodes there.)
18
19 Meanwhile, for the record, the systemd and now udev folks have stated
20 that they would like to eventually merge udev fully into systemd, and
21 indeed, it's already shipped as a single tarball, but that udev is likely
22 to remain a separate binary that can be run stand-alone for some time,
23 because that's necessary in ordered to be able to keep a somewhat small
24 initramfs, with udev but without all the trappings of a full-fledged
25 systemd.
26
27 However, with the introduction of kdbus and other changes, I'm wondering
28 if they'll decide they might as well shoehorn systemd onto the initramfs
29 as well, and will then subsume the full udev binary as well...
32 (This said as an openrc user at least for the time being... even
33 apparently one of the only people actually running the live-git
34 openrc-9999, or at least all the bugs filed on it seem to be mine. I've
35 suspected for some time that I'll eventually switch to systemd, but was
36 at least originally hoping to avoid it until it quits actively blackholing
37 nearly everything it comes across and had some reasonable time to
38 stabilize without gobbling something else up. But when that'll be... who
39 knows? And I'm getting an itch to try it one of these days, or at least
40 seriously read up on it with a view to _consider_ trying it, tho if I do
41 it'll likely still be against my better judgment, since I don't see it
42 really stabilizing any time soon and I had originally planned to wait for
43 that. So I guess I sort of fall in the middle in this debate.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman