From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:45:54
1 Antoine Martin posted on Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:51:49 +0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > Personally, I am quite surprised to see that very few have mentioned the
4 > one thing that makes me cringe in all the systemd discussions, namely
5 > that anyone who disagrees with the systemd crowd is either misinformed,
6 > stupid or holding back progress. Though this thread is a lot less acrid
7 > than some (I am not posting to create further tension, but rather to
8 > explain where I think some of this tension is coming from).
9 > Many have legitimate gripes with systemd, but the dismissive attitude of
10 > many systemd proponents is more of a social problem, and a worrying one.
11 > It is almost impossible to have a technical discussion on the subject.
12
13 It has been implied as some of the other points (the LKML discussion
14 where Linus got mad at ksievers, for isntance) are there as a result of
15 this, but you're correct, nobody had been naming it directly.
16
17 And that was and remains my biggest concern as well, even tho I'm running
18 systemd now. Well, that and the "gray goo" problem. But I decided I'd
19 try it anyway, knowing I could always switch inits by just setting init=
20 appropriately if I decided it wasn't something I was ready to use just
21 yet, and once I did enough research to actually try it properly and had
22 actually done so, I found that despite my misgivings in these two areas,
23 it was enough faster and easier to work with than openrc, that despite
24 having to figuratively "hold my nose" to do it, I wanted to keep using
25 systemd.
26
27 I'm still "holding my nose", but from the systemd side of town, now.
28 Time will reveal how it all turns out, I guess, but meanwhile, I can
29 always boot the backup to get back to sanity, if some new version of
30 systemd either won't boot or does something I consider insane and don't
31 want on my system, and from that backup, if necessary I can reinstall
32 openrc.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman