From: Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 03:52:00
1 On 23/09/14 01:22, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Barry Schwartz
3 > <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> skribis:
5 >>> Diversity isn't about feeding people who feels everything not-invented
6 >>> here is godawful. When you have a clearly defined problem and you can
7 >>> create a solution that satisfies that niche better than any other
8 >>> solutions, that is diversity.
9 >> ‘Diversity’ here is deviation from established Unix/POSIX philosophy
10 >> in system design. Years of effort to simplify programming are being
11 >> thrown away on grounds that resemble common arguments in favor of the
12 >> ‘tight integration’ that is Microsoft Windows. I mean, seriously, many
13 >> of the pro-systemd arguments are like those I have heard for using
14 >> Windows: that applications ‘just work’, because they were written for
15 >> a dominant system.
16 >>
17 >> But I view this like a programmer, not like a Windows user; I want my
18 >> software to be portable because it is written portably (in a POSIX
19 >> sense), not because it is written for a universally available
20 >> particular POSIX variant. What I see is something like a return to the
21 >> days when you had to write different code for variants of USG, BSD,
22 >> and whatnot, except that now, unlike then, one of the variants is
23 >> overwhelmingly dominant.
24 >>
25 >> What I really fear, though, is what if one day the kernel team is a
26 >> different entity, more like other entities in the Linux world?
27 > As a professional programmer, I completely disagree with any dogma
28 > based on "philosophy" rather than technical merits. I will not rehash
29 > here the same discussion we have had several times in gentoo-user, so
30 > I will just paste what Linus recently had to say about "the
31 > traditional unix"[1].
32 Your attempt to dismiss other people's concern with an appeal to
33 authority is cute.
34 And as was pointed later, this is very much a case of "cherry picking"
35 from the interview, I've also seen " appeal to the majority" used in
36 this thread.
37
38 Personally, I am quite surprised to see that very few have mentioned the
39 one thing that makes me cringe in all the systemd discussions, namely
40 that anyone who disagrees with the systemd crowd is either misinformed,
41 stupid or holding back progress. Though this thread is a lot less acrid
42 than some (I am not posting to create further tension, but rather to
43 explain where I think some of this tension is coming from).
44 Many have legitimate gripes with systemd, but the dismissive attitude of
45 many systemd proponents is more of a social problem, and a worrying one.
46 It is almost impossible to have a technical discussion on the subject.
47
48 Now for my anecdotal evidence, which may help explain my position on the
49 subject: in 20 years of Linux, no other system level change has caused
50 me more time wasted than systemd (admitedly, the grub2 "upgrade" comes
51 close), this is both as a developer and as a user.
52 I do not make the claim that systemd does not have advantages for
53 others, please don't make the mistake of claiming that it does or will
54 do something beneficial for *me*. Even if it did, it would take many
55 many years to get me back on level terms :/
56
57 Apologies if this link was posted in this thread before, I think it
58 eloquently captures some of the concerns about systemd (sense of humour
59 required for reading):
60 https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459
61
62 Cheers