From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 04:09:47
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Your attempt to dismiss other people's concern with an appeal to authority
3 > is cute.
4
5 Thank you, I think so too.
6
7 > And as was pointed later, this is very much a case of "cherry picking" from
8 > the interview, I've also seen " appeal to the majority" used in this thread.
9
10 It's not an appeal to the "majority". I don't care what the "majority"
11 of Linux users wants... in the first place because there is no
12 reliable way to measure such thing, and in the second place because I
13 think an admin with dominion over 100 systems, his opinion should have
14 more weight than the high school student that it's learning Linux.
15
16 I care about technical arguments (which this thread has been
17 *incredibly* lacking, except for the failed attempts to call a
18 "philosophy" a technical argument), and the opinion of experts on the
19 subject.
20
21 And more than that, even, I care about code. Talk is cheap; coding is
22 hard. Look at the git repositories, and basically all the answers that
23 you want are there.
24
25 Finally, I know you didn't specifically said it was me, but I want to
26 make something clear: I've *never* in this thread said that anyone was
27 stupid or "holding back" progress. I said that the anonymous author
28 from boycottsystemd.org was either spreading FUD or ignorant, but I
29 presented proof of why it's blatantly false that GNOME has a hard
30 dependency on systemd. Here are the links again: [1], [2].
31
32 [1] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140219085851
33 [2] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-session/tree/configure.ac#n139
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés
38 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias