From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: newcomer:
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:45:14
1 Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com> posted
2 1160353054.22548.14.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on Sun,
3 08 Oct 2006 20:17:33 -0400:
4
5 > Well, that was also an enlightening e-mail. I just disabled and deleted
6 > all cookies in Firefox, and now I'm going to do as Richard described and
7 > setup my own e-mail account. Any good ideas/howto's about how to setup a
8 > mail server?
9
10 FWIW, I use konqueror as my default browser and have it set to accept
11 session cookies by default -- but those are deleted when konqueror exits
12 so don't stay around long. Konqueror has a default cookie option, but
13 allows different policies for individual sites. My default (other than
14 for session cookies) is don't allow, but I do have a few sites I do allow
15 them on -- my bank's site, for example, for online banking, and LWN.org
16 (Linux Weekly News) so I can post article followups using my account there.
17
18 Konqueror has similar settings for Java (which I don't have any version of
19 merged as most are slaveryware, and I've not needed it enough to bother
20 with the freedomware versions), and javascript, which again I keep off by
21 default, but allow for a very few specific sites, including my bank. It
22 also has a plugin (part of konq-plugins in kdeaddons I'm guessing) that
23 allows me to one-shot quick-switch both the cookie and the scripting
24 settings and reload a page if it doesn't work without it. That's fairly
25 often required for scripting, as many sites require it nowdays. However,
26 even with scripting enabled, konqueror has finer security settings on what
27 it is allowed to do (like popups yes/no/ask, etc), and those too have a
28 general default with per-site exceptions available where needed.
29
30 I'm guessing Firefox (which I don't have merged) has similar per-site
31 options, altho it's possible you need an extension for full control.
32
33 ...
34
35 As for mail servers, I don't know enough on the subject to be worth
36 posting on, so I won't.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list