From: Toshinori Endo <endo.toshinori@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] MAKEOPTS values for Athlon 64 X2
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:21:13
1 Hello PaulNM,
4 PaulNM wrote:
5 > Hey folks,
6 >
7 > I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with different values for
8 > MAKEOPTS="-jx" on Athlon 64 X2's. The guides usually suggest # of
9 > cores/processors plus one. Looking at "man make.conf" doesn't help
10 > much, it just says "Suggested settings are between CPUs+1 and
11 > 2*CPUs+1". The only thing "man make" mentions about the "-j" option
12 > is "If the -j option is given without an argument, make will not
13 > limit the number of jobs that can run simultaneously." I've also seen
14 > some mentions of -j9 by people with dual core systems elsewhere,
15 > indicating it drastically speed up some emerges.
16 >
17 > So this leaves me with several possibilities. There's -j3 (current
18 > setting), -j5, -j (no limit), -j9, or some other random number. Any
19 > suggestions/warnings/links would be appreciated.
20 >
21 > Thanks,
22 > PaulNM
25 On my 4x Dual-Core Opteron system, -j9 actually worked as expected, but
26 not as much on the other system with two CPUs.
27
28 Is that what you want?
29
30 Here is the story.
31 The value of MAKEOPTS including -jx is passed to the `make' command so
32 that x kid jobs at most can be executed. If 1+#CPU is given as the
33 parameter, each CPU is assigned a single kid process because make
34 command itself does have much to do while the kids are working hard.
35 Giving the larger number just let them do extra job to switch among kids
36 in expense of performance down.
37
38 te
39 --