From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 22:12:03
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > Right now I am investigating if I can employ the udev daemon to create
3 > the necessary devices, when needed, in the /dev tree. IOW, I want to find
4 > out if I can just start the daemon, plug in the scanner, and have udev create
5 > the things I need. Then, when I am done scanning, I can just shut off the
6 > daemon. This method should allow me to use udev (or eudev) only when
7 > I need to use it. Otherwise it would not be running.
8
9 Maybe you can run it once even as a non-daemon just to create the
10 device, similarly to running rescan-scsi-bus.
11
12 > > because it is quite a disaster, and is becoming all
13 > > rolled up in the attempt to turn ‘Linux’ from a kernel into a
14 > > ‘vertically integrated’ variant of MacOS.
15 >
16 > IMHO, those folks at freedesktop.org are going to destroy the simplicity,
17 > beauty, and diverse utility of Linux.
18
19 Yes. Particularly distressing because they are completely neglecting
20 GNUstep, which is an existing _thoughtful_ attempt to reconcile
21 Unix/GNU with an integrated desktop non-Unix folk would find familiar.
22
23 > I downloaded and examined sytemd to try to learn more about the udev
24 > process. What a convoluted mess! Compared to the simple and straightforward
25 > boot-up and device system which I have implemented on my machines, systemd
26 > is a confusing morass. For what reason? I can boot up and configure my
27 > entire machine using a single bash script of 155 lines (including the comments).
28 > Why would I want to replace that comfort and ease with the expansive cacophony
29 > that is systemd?
30
31 I like baselayout but as a former Slackware user also have a strong
32 appreciation of a BSD-style write-a-script-for-each-runlevel. Nothing
33 could be simpler. I have never investigated systemd too deeply, but
34 simply know that I am lost trying to play with runlevels on an
35 Ubuntu/Debian system. (There is also the Hurd approach of not needing
36 such scripts in the first place, but, alas, that is not transferable
37 to Linux.)