From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Requesting advice on PIC and amd64
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:19:37
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Simon Stelling [mailto:blubb@g.o]
3 Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 1:25 AM
4 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Requesting advice on PIC and amd64
6
7 Hi,
8
9 Bob Young wrote:
10 > I'm re-installing Gentoo64 yet-again on my dual Opteron box, this time I
11 > want to build with nptl and nptlonly use flags starting from stage1. (
12 > <- I'd welcome thoughts/opinions on this as well).
13
14 Don't use stage1, it's just a waste of time, IMHO. I usually use the latest
15 stage3 (sometimes +GRP) set the use flags i want and do emerge --newuse -D
16 system ; emerge --newuse -D world, which does about the same thing.
17 Hmm...interesting. I know that CHOST is the same for all of AMD64 so
18 changing that isn't an issue, but what about CFLAGS, with this method can I
19 specify march=k8 and change other flags (-pipe -O? etc) before the emerge
20 system and emerge world without breaking anything?
21
22 > In deciding on what other use flags I want, I noticed the pic flag, with
23 > it's accompanying warning of "Do not utilize this flag unless you know
24 > what you're doing." So I figured I'd better do some research. I've read
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-guide.xml and
26 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-internals.xml. It seems that
27 > using PIC is primarily a security feature/enhancement. The box is a
28 > workstation, and has no public IP address, I'm more interested in
29
30 It is, but on AMD64, you have to enable PIC for shared objects, otherwise
31 you
32 can't link them. Btw, just because your box doesn't have a public IP address
33 that doesn't mean it's harder to hijack it :P
34
35 > performance than security, but if the PIC adds significant security
36 > without noticeably impacting performance on amd64, I'm wondering if
37 > adding the pic use flag in make.conf might be a good idea.
38
39 You don't need it, but it won't harm either, since it doesn't do anything on
40 amd64.
41 Adding -fPIC to your CFLAGS will enable PIC on executables too, which will
42 make
43 them slower and will break some nasty configure scripts too, so hands off
44 that
45 bad thing ;)
46 Okay, thanks for the clarification, I was under the mistaken impression that
47 setting the pic use flag would "translate" to -fPIC for the compiler.
48 Thanks,
49 Bob Young
50 San Jose CA.
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list