From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Requesting advice on PIC and amd64
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:25:56
1 Hi,
2
3 Bob Young wrote:
4 > I’m re-installing Gentoo64 yet-again on my dual Opteron box, this time I
5 > want to build with nptl and nptlonly use flags starting from stage1. (
6 > <- I’d welcome thoughts/opinions on this as well).
7
8 Don't use stage1, it's just a waste of time, IMHO. I usually use the latest
9 stage3 (sometimes +GRP) set the use flags i want and do emerge --newuse -D
10 system ; emerge --newuse -D world, which does about the same thing.
11
12 > In deciding on what other use flags I want, I noticed the pic flag, with
13 > it’s accompanying warning of “Do not utilize this flag unless you know
14 > what you're doing.” So I figured I’d better do some research. I’ve read
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-guide.xml and
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-internals.xml. It seems that
17 > using PIC is primarily a security feature/enhancement. The box is a
18 > workstation, and has no public IP address, I’m more interested in
19
20 It is, but on AMD64, you have to enable PIC for shared objects, otherwise you
21 can't link them. Btw, just because your box doesn't have a public IP address
22 that doesn't mean it's harder to hijack it :P
23
24 > performance than security, but if the PIC adds significant security
25 > without noticeably impacting performance on amd64, I’m wondering if
26 > adding the pic use flag in make.conf might be a good idea.
27
28 You don't need it, but it won't harm either, since it doesn't do anything on amd64.
29 Adding -fPIC to your CFLAGS will enable PIC on executables too, which will make
30 them slower and will break some nasty configure scripts too, so hands off that
31 bad thing ;)
32
33 Regards,
36 Simon Stelling