From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Drive asignments for sata drives
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:47:49
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200703131731.44114.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Tue, 13 Mar
3 2007 17:31:44 +0000:
4
5 > On Tuesday 13 March 2007 14:06:22 dustin@×××××××.us wrote:
6 >> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:08:02PM +0800, P.V.Anthony wrote:
7 >> > I hope one day grub will allow "root=UUID=something" then the problem
8 >> > is completely solved.
9 >>
10 >> Not to be picky, but it's the kernel that parses that command line --
11 >> grub just supplies it to the kernel.
12 >
13 > Are you sure? It seems to me that the "root=" parameter is to grub, to
14 > tell it where to find the kernel to which to pass the remaining
15 > arguments.
16
17 The "root (hd0,0)" (or whatever) line is for grub.
18
19 The "kernel ..." line, including the "root=/dev/whatever", or as we are
20 talking here "root=label" parameter, are passed to the kernel. It uses
21 that parameter to find and load its rootfs after the kernel has loaded
22 and done the pre-root detection and config stuff, but before the first
23 userspace program (normally init) starts and does the userspace boot
24 stuff, plus loading any additional kernel modules and doing a bit more
25 kernel config (sysctl and the like).
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list