From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] bad drive?
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:52:42
1 Wil Reichert schrieb:
2 > I think one of my drives is on its way out, tho I've never seen a
3 > drive fail like this before. Drive is a year old WD 640G & I use it
4 > as my system drive. Via SMART, I've been doing daily short & weekly
5 > long tests since I installed it. Starting last week I woke up to my
6 > keyboard lights blinking and the sound of the heads thrashing & the
7 > drive repeatedly attempting to spin up. On my desktop the mouse was
8 > still moving but any command (dmesg, less /var/log/messages) resulted
9 > in an IO error. I restarted the computer and everything came up fine.
10 > I dug through the logs but there were no IO errors of any sort to be
11 > found. All I could see was that the extended SMART test successfully
12 > started (from smartd.log):
13 >
14 > Jun 6 03:10:31 void smartd[5056]: Device:
15 > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD6400AAKS-22A7B0_WD-WMASY0830809, starting
16 > scheduled Long Self-Test.
17 >
18 > But then it failed to complete (from smartctl -a):
19 >
20 > # 7 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 50% 7699 -
21 >
22 > None of the other SMART attributes indicate any other potential. I
23 > used my computer with no problems all week thinking perhaps it was a
24 > fluke. This morning I woke to an similar situation as last week. The
25 > smartd log indicated that the extended test had started, but oddly
26 > enough smartctl has no record of the test starting.
28
29 Do I understand you correctly: It happended both times when the long
30 SMART test started? Can you actually trigger the behavior by forcing
31 such a test?