From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Change Install Prefix
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:10:00
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > Is there a way, aside from writing a custom ebuild script, of changing
3 > the install prefix for a package? What I want to do is install some
4 > packages under /usr/local or /opt rather than the default of /usr.
5 > Unless I am mistaken, there does not seem to be a way of doing this
6 > with either portage variables or with portage profiles.
7 >
8 > Using the ROOT variable is not feasible because the resulting
9 > emerge will create an independent tree of packages. I just want
10 > to shift some packages out of /usr without losing any dependency
11 > or linking information.
12 >
13 > Linux is a flexible system in that it will allow libraries, include
14 > files, and configure information to be stored in a variety of places
15 > without losing any interaction. Modification of PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
16 > CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and other variables as well as the /etc/ld.so.conf
17 > file will keep a system integrated no matter where things are stored.
18 > Yet, unless I am missing something, Gentoo does not seem to embody this
19 > same flexibility, at least not in a simple manner. All packages have
20 > to go under /usr only.
21 >
22 > Is this actually the case or is there a way to change the installation
23 > prefix?
24 >
25 > Frank Peters
26 >
27 perhaps you like to go with a prefixed portage:
28 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/