From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] how to best run a script at boot
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:36:04
1 On Sunday, 15. July 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > I think I'd prefer to find out why that script isn't being run
3 > from /etc/init.d/vmware, or if it is, why it isn't setting up the network
4 > connection properly. By the way, what is "workstation 5"? And which kind of
5 > vmware are you using? Workstation? Server?
6
7 Hum... "workstation 5" meant vmware, kind "workstation", version 5.5.3
8
9 > On this box, installing vmware-server pulls in vmware-modules, which builds
10 > two kernel modules: vmnet and vmmod. The former should be setting your
11 > network up.
12
13 Well, as I have a license to VMWare Workstation 5, I installed from the VMWare
14 tarball, I didn't emerge (don't know if there is an ebuild for workstation,
15 but I feared if there is, it might install version 6 and I have no license
16 for that one).
17
18 Both modules were build, vmmon and vmnet are loaded (so says lsmod)
19 but /dev/vmnet0 is not created. This happens if I
20 run /usr/lib/vmare/net-services.sh, so I have to find a way to have it run
21 autmaticaly. Adding "/usr/lib/vmare/net-services.sh start"
22 to /etc/conf.d/local.start does work.
23
24 > --
25 > Rgds
26 > Peter.