From: Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: persistent-net.rules
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:17:27
1 > Interesting. I have different hardware, but use the macchanger module to
2 > change my MAC at every eth0 up, and don't have the problem here. udev
3 > must see the original MAC address on my hardware before macchanger gets
4 > to it, and thus set it up correctly. But if it's rewritten @ shutdown,
5 > why wouldn't it see the macchanger-randomized one then and thus get it
6 > wrong?
9 I've tried macchanger but the thing is that at boottime the address of my
10 network interface is always FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and therefore it gets a random
11 mac-address from the kernel. And because of the persistent-net.rules that are
12 saved at shutdown, my network interface is named something unpredictable.
13 Only if I delete the udev rule by plugging it to another computer to be able
14 to boot without persistent-net.rules I get a interface eth0. Otherwise it
15 increments every boot (eth0, eth1, . . . ).
16
17 The funny thing is, that no matter which mac address I apply to the interface
18 with macchanger, the mac address which will be written to the udev rules at
19 shutdown is always the one randomly generated by the kernel and not the one I
20 apply to it.
21
22 rgds
23 Bernhard