From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Portage version error?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:21:42
1 On Montag 01 Dezember 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Okay, I'm slightly confused. Now, granted, I've been away from the
3 > computer for 5 days, but I'm pretty sure that's not enough to go soft in
4 > the head. I sync'd portage this morning, and as usual get the 'there's
5 > a new version of portage available.... message. This is typical, since,
6 > in order to upgrade to KDE4.1.3 I needed to use the ~amd64 version of
7 > pertage (now at 2.2_rc13 on my system). However, I figured I needed to
8 > check to see if there was a newer one in ~amd64 just to keep up and this
9 > is what I got for output:
10 >
11 > octavian ~ # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge -s portage
12 > * sys-apps/portage
13 > Latest version available: 2.1.6_rc2
14 > Latest version installed: 2.2_rc13
15 > Size of files: 564 kB
16 > Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
18 > system for Gentoo
19 > License: GPL-2
23 > Now, I'm not a math wiz, but IIRC 2.2 is greater than 2.1, right? So,
24 > what's the deal here? I'm hesitant to upgrade (as it might be a
25 > DOWNgrade), but if there's some behind the scenes changes going on, I'd
26 > like to know that too.
27 >
28 > So, what do I do?
29
30 just read the Changelog. Really, and read the manual about 'masked packages'.
31 2.2_rc was masked to force people to test 2.1.6_rc. Just unmask 2.2 is you
32 want to use it.
33 Was it a good decision? IMHO not, but it can be easily solved.