From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Portage version error?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:36:47
1 Okay, I'm slightly confused. Now, granted, I've been away from the
2 computer for 5 days, but I'm pretty sure that's not enough to go soft in
3 the head. I sync'd portage this morning, and as usual get the 'there's
4 a new version of portage available.... message. This is typical, since,
5 in order to upgrade to KDE4.1.3 I needed to use the ~amd64 version of
6 pertage (now at 2.2_rc13 on my system). However, I figured I needed to
7 check to see if there was a newer one in ~amd64 just to keep up and this
8 is what I got for output:
9
10 octavian ~ # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge -s portage
11 * sys-apps/portage
12 Latest version available: 2.1.6_rc2
13 Latest version installed: 2.2_rc13
14 Size of files: 564 kB
15 Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
17 system for Gentoo
18 License: GPL-2
22 Now, I'm not a math wiz, but IIRC 2.2 is greater than 2.1, right? So,
23 what's the deal here? I'm hesitant to upgrade (as it might be a
24 DOWNgrade), but if there's some behind the scenes changes going on, I'd
25 like to know that too.
26
27 So, what do I do?
30 Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
31 quadraturae circuli
32
33 Mark Haney
34 Sr. Systems Administrator
35 ERC Broadband
36 (828) 350-2415
37
38 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support