From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge and Tmpfs
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 01:00:06
1 "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com> posted
2 fecdbac60907080910p1ac75f11pa686a0bb36dadc9f@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 19:10:12 +0300:
4
5 > Or at least that's what it did to me last week when I was experimenting
6 > something utterly stupid with kernel memory settings on a box with 2GB
7 > physical RAM, 8 GB swap, /var/tmp/portage mounted on tmpfs with
8 > size=9000M, and trying to emerge openoffice -- while only having
9 > compiled a kernel which could handle a maximum of 4GB of memory ... :)
10
11 You had me laughing, but in all seriousness, that's a good test of
12 conditions many of us aren't likely to see very often. So at least we
13 know the failure mode, now, and know it doesn't fail the entire system,
14 which is more than at least I knew before. =:^)
19 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman