From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sun and GPL
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 17:49:00
1 "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@×××××××.net> posted
2 20070528071415.415b75f1@××××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Mon,
3 28 May 2007 07:14:15 -0600:
4
5 > Last I heard, Gentoo/FBSD was stalled, due to licensing terms. But it
6 > was some time ago, has that changed?
7
8 I don't believe it's stalled now. Among other things, Roy is designing
9 Baselayout-2 to be friendlier to Gentoo/FBSD. Baselayout-2 is a pretty
10 recent development, and definitely still masked as it's still in serious
11 development. (FWIW, I've been running 1.13.0_alphaXX for some time,
12 since it was hard masked tho it seems to be ~arch now, but I've not tried
13 2.0 yet, at all.)
14
15 The worst recent blow, AFAIK, was when Flameeyes quit, as that was his
16 baby (well, one of them, he was incredibly productive all over the
17 place). Fortunately, he's back, but taking it a bit slower this time,
18 mainly focusing on GFBSD.
19
20 BTW, his blog at http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/ has some very
21 interesting entries re the thread topic, and this subthread, and gcc
22 as well.
23
24 First, his latest entry explains a bit about coming back (the links
25 include date and title):
26 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/05/27/shedding-a-light-on-my-return
27
28 Second, back on the second page, he discusses his work on OpenJDK.
29 He's mainly interested in getting it to work for GFBSD since the
30 FBSD version is old and vulnerable, but he's getting it working
31 on Gentoo Linux first. Apparently, it DOES compile on amd64, but
32 may require a bit of tweaking due to path lengths. Anyway, worth
33 reading for anyone following the GPLv2ing of Java, particularly
34 as it applies to Gentoo and specifically, Gentoo/amd64.
35
36 Three entries:
37 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/05/09/openjdk-and-gentoo-freebsd
38 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/05/10/my-fiddling-with-openjdk
39 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/05/15/openjdk-the-vulnerabilities-and-you
40
41 Finally, as one who has unmasked gcc-4.2.0 locally, and recompiled
42 my entire system (that'll work with it, I've about a half-dozen
43 packages that won't), this entry on gcc 4.3 and the problems
44 it's going to cause is interesting:
45 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/05/11/gcc-4-3-it-will-be-a-bloodshed
46
47 Hmm... the g2planet RSS feed doesn't seem to be carrying flameeyes
48 blog again yet. Having just read a bunch of it, and found
49 all that interesting stuff, I'm going to have to rss-feed it directly...
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
57 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list