From: Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: mansour.alakeel@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Xorg upgrade and synaptics driver
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:29:47
1 Hello, and sorry for the late reply.
2
3 See my comments
6 On Wed Apr 15,2009 12:26 pm, Duncan wrote:
7 > Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> posted
8 > 20090413224623.GA20566@××××.lan, excerpted below, on Mon, 13 Apr 2009
9 > 19:46:24 -0300:
10 >
11 > > Dieter:
12 > > Thank you, that did the trick.
13 >
14 > > On Mon Apr 13,2009 06:54 pm, Dieter Ries wrote:
15 > >> Mansour Al Akeel schrieb:
16 > >>
17 > >> > today I did "emerge --update --newuse --deep world" in order to get
18 > >> > the latest. However, I had to fight a bit to get x11 working, but
19 > >> > after many attempts the mouse pad scrolling is still not working.
20 > >>
21 > >> I had the very same experience today [and] here's what I noticed:
22 > >>
23 > >> First I thought my evdev driven usb mouse section had stolen my
24 > >> touchpad. But there were no hints to that in Xorg.0.log and removing
25 > >> mouse0 from xorg.conf didnt change anything.
26 > >>
27 > >> Then I used
28 > >>
29 > >> synclient -l
30 > >>
31 > >> to see the settings of synaptics.
32 >
33 > To possibly resolve that last loose end and put this to bed...
34 >
35 > Mansour, note that you were using syndaemon, where here he used synclient.
36 >
37 > What might have been happening, why it couldn't access the shared memory,
38 > may have been that another "syndaemon" (either CLI mouse/gpm driver or
39 > xorg driver) was already running, occupying the shared memory, keeping
40 > your manually run daemon from accessing it too. Now that I see him using
41 > the client and thinking about client/server communication, that sounds
42 > likely.
43 >
44 > Years ago I ran a syntouch, tho it was back in the old proprietary world
45 > before MS "strongly encouraged" me to defect, but that was one of my
46 > favorite pointing devices. Unfortunately, it was on a corded generic
47 > "ergonomic/wave" keyboard and I've run cordless Logitech "wave" keyboards
48 > for years now, settling on the decent but separate Cordless Trackman
49 > Marble (the right-handed one with the ball under the thumb). But I've
50 > always wondered why the couldn't integrate a SynTouch into the keyboard
51 > and be done with it. At first I thought maybe they used too much power,
52 > but that can't be it as they're common laptop devices. Probably just NIH
53 > and/or the royalties Logitech would have to pay Syntouch are too high.
54 > But I'd still pay good money for a nice cordless wave keyboard with an
55 > integrated syntouch.
56 >
57 > Anyway, while I don't have one now and thus wasn't as much help as I'd
58
59 You helped as much as you. That's what we all do and all it counts.
60
61 > have liked, I do like them and have run them before, so I could
62 > understand and sympathize with your problem. But I'd never heard of the
63 > two-finger "Mac way" of scrolling until Dieter's post. Why on earth they
64 > made it the default, disabling the normal edge-scroll, I don't know.
65
66 I was asking myself the same question. Why would they make this the
67 defualt. As if we don't have enough frastration to deal with.
68 I think they were trying to say "Hey, you do things the MAC way!"
71 > But you got it working again, and that's a good thing! =:^)
72 >
73 > FWIW, as I do like touchpads, there's some chance I'll get another one in
74 > the future (and in fact I have a touchpad on my netbook, tho I'm not sure
75 > it's a syntouch and I'm not using it much right now as I'm trying to make
76 > room on my main machine to run a 32-bit chroot to install a Gentoo image
77 > too, then transfer it to the netbook). And as such, there's a fair
78 > chance I'll end up using this info myself at some point.
79
80 I am glade this was informative for you.
81 Just FYI, I added the following option to get things the way I want by
82 default (the same old great way):
83
84 Section "InputDevice"
85 Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
86 Driver "synaptics"
87 Option "Protocol" "event"
88 Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
89 Option "SendCoreEvents" "True"
90 Option "SHMConfig" "true"
91 Option "VertEdgeScroll" "true"
92 Option "TapButton1" "1"
93 EndSection
97 > --
98 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
99 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
100 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman