From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Xorg upgrade and synaptics driver
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:26:35
1 Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> posted
2 20090413224623.GA20566@××××.lan, excerpted below, on Mon, 13 Apr 2009
3 19:46:24 -0300:
4
5 > Dieter:
6 > Thank you, that did the trick.
7
8 > On Mon Apr 13,2009 06:54 pm, Dieter Ries wrote:
9 >> Mansour Al Akeel schrieb:
10 >>
11 >> > today I did "emerge --update --newuse --deep world" in order to get
12 >> > the latest. However, I had to fight a bit to get x11 working, but
13 >> > after many attempts the mouse pad scrolling is still not working.
14 >>
15 >> I had the very same experience today [and] here's what I noticed:
16 >>
17 >> First I thought my evdev driven usb mouse section had stolen my
18 >> touchpad. But there were no hints to that in Xorg.0.log and removing
19 >> mouse0 from xorg.conf didnt change anything.
20 >>
21 >> Then I used
22 >>
23 >> synclient -l
24 >>
25 >> to see the settings of synaptics.
26
27 To possibly resolve that last loose end and put this to bed...
28
29 Mansour, note that you were using syndaemon, where here he used synclient.
30
31 What might have been happening, why it couldn't access the shared memory,
32 may have been that another "syndaemon" (either CLI mouse/gpm driver or
33 xorg driver) was already running, occupying the shared memory, keeping
34 your manually run daemon from accessing it too. Now that I see him using
35 the client and thinking about client/server communication, that sounds
36 likely.
37
38 Years ago I ran a syntouch, tho it was back in the old proprietary world
39 before MS "strongly encouraged" me to defect, but that was one of my
40 favorite pointing devices. Unfortunately, it was on a corded generic
41 "ergonomic/wave" keyboard and I've run cordless Logitech "wave" keyboards
42 for years now, settling on the decent but separate Cordless Trackman
43 Marble (the right-handed one with the ball under the thumb). But I've
44 always wondered why the couldn't integrate a SynTouch into the keyboard
45 and be done with it. At first I thought maybe they used too much power,
46 but that can't be it as they're common laptop devices. Probably just NIH
47 and/or the royalties Logitech would have to pay Syntouch are too high.
48 But I'd still pay good money for a nice cordless wave keyboard with an
49 integrated syntouch.
50
51 Anyway, while I don't have one now and thus wasn't as much help as I'd
52 have liked, I do like them and have run them before, so I could
53 understand and sympathize with your problem. But I'd never heard of the
54 two-finger "Mac way" of scrolling until Dieter's post. Why on earth they
55 made it the default, disabling the normal edge-scroll, I don't know.
56
57 But you got it working again, and that's a good thing! =:^)
58
59 FWIW, as I do like touchpads, there's some chance I'll get another one in
60 the future (and in fact I have a touchpad on my netbook, tho I'm not sure
61 it's a syntouch and I'm not using it much right now as I'm trying to make
62 room on my main machine to run a 32-bit chroot to install a Gentoo image
63 too, then transfer it to the netbook). And as such, there's a fair
64 chance I'll end up using this info myself at some point.
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman