From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardware choice
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:30:22
1 On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:57:00 +0100
2 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Given your CPU choices, it is obvious that you are ignoring i7, I
5 > suspect beacise the price.
8 Correct. After all even the platform I'm targeting at is an overkill
9 for my Home desktop needs.
10
11 > In that case, I think you should reconsider AMD. I have a couple of
12 > Phenoms, which work really fine with Gentoo.
13 >
14 > However, if its lower frequency and smaller cache of 9850 and 9950 is
15 > what bothers you, you should consider Deneb, which is to come out any
16 > day now.
17
18 I was told to wait for "the new Phenom", though the guy said rumor has
19 it the release will be in Jan or Feb next year. Anyways, it doesn't
20 matter for me. I had Athlon-XP, now I'm with a Sempron. It's time to
21 get an Intel for a change. I hope a CPU like those I target at will be
22 more than enough for my computing needs for the next 2 or 3
23 years.
24
25 So, my questions still remain:
26 - q6600, e8400 or q8200? Which is faster after overclock with plain
27 air cooling and plain mid-tower box?
28 - what mobo should I take for it
29 - what kind of ddr2 should I get
33 Best regards,