From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Best plan for cross compiling for i686
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 22:30:20
1 On 8/5/06, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 August 2006 23.08, Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > this. Or I can convert my box to an x86 profile, which should also
4 > > fix my problems with chroot environment. But of course I would lose
5 > > any ability to play around with the 64-bit stuff, and the ability to
6 > > file bugs against the packages that (wrongly) look at uname/arch
7 > > output.
8 >
9 > I don't know much about these things but what about installing a second system
10 > (x86) on your desktop just to do this job?
11
12 You mean dual-boot it? I guess that would be possible, although it
13 isn't just my desktop, but also my home network server for dhcp, ntp,
14 file sharing, etc. So to make it capable of running all of those
15 things as either x86 or amd64 would just about double the
16 administration I'd have to do with that box. I think it would
17 probably end up as just pure x86 before long...
18
19 But thanks anyway!
20
21 -Richard