From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdm-4.10.5-r1 - 2+ minute login delay
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 17:15:12
1 On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht posted on Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:46:22 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> From previous concersations I assume a lot of folks here use KDE. I
5 >> run mostly stable and just updated to kde-4.10.5 which included an
6 >> update to kdm. It now seems that I'm plagued by a more than 2 minute
7 >> delay from entering my password until KDE flashes up the box showing
8 >> that KDE is starting up. Once KDE is up and running everything seems
9 >> normal. There are no messages in /dev/log/message that identify any
10 >> problems. Just a 2+ minute delay before much of anything occurs.
11 >>
12 >> Here's a small snippet of message showing the basic delay:
13 >
14 > [Snip log showing, indeed, a two minute delay...]
15 >
16 >> I Googled around for a while and got curious about whether this was
17 >> really a KDE problem so I emerged xfce4. It has the same 2 minute issue
18 >> so this appears to me more of a kdm issue as best I can tell right now.
19 >>
20 >> It's not anything obvious (to me) with networking delays as I can
21 >> sit in the console and ping web sites. No delays there. I got back to
22 >> the GUI and it's just waiting. I ran iotop in a console and there's
23 >> nothing going on. The machine is just hung for a couple of minutes.
24 >>
25 >> This just started in the last couple of days with this month's KDE
26 >> release.
27 >
28 > While I run kde, I don't run a *dm, preferring to login at the text
29 > console and run startx with XSESSION pointed at kde. Additionally, I
30 > have USE=-policykit and USE=-consolekit (policykit was showing up in the
31 > log before the delay) set and don't have either one even on my system at
32 > all. Similarly USE=-udisks and USE=-upower (those showed up after the
33 > delay), so I don't have those to worry about either. So I have no direct
34 > help for you from that angle.
35 >
36 > However, what you report sounds very much like a timeout problem,
37 > something expected to already be running not being there, especially
38 > since both xfce and kde have the same two-minute delay and there's no I/O
39 > activity going on.
40 >
41 > You mentioned running iotop in a text console and it showing no i/o to
42 > speak of. What about CPU activity as shown by regular top/htop , and/or
43 > load as shown by uptime? If it's a timeout issue as I expect, that won't
44 > show any significant activity either.
45 >
46 > What I think is happening is that the system's waiting for a response,
47 > doing nothing but waiting for two minutes, until some timeout, after
48 > which it gives up and either starts it on its own or does without,
49 > depending on what it is that's missing.
50 >
51 > I don't know for sure what that might be, but I'd suggest checking to see
52 > if you have a system dbus running (dbus initscript), and if not, start
53 > that before you try a kde/xfce login, and see if your delay disappears.
54 >
55 > Another thing to check, since upower was the first thing logged after the
56 > delay, is your power profiles, and/or especially if you're on a
57 > wall-powered machine anyway, try setting USE=-upower and doing an
58 > emerge --newuse @world, and see if that helps. (It's quite possible that
59 > upower/powerdevil are entirely innocent and have nothing to do with the
60 > problem; that it just happens that they're the first thing logged after
61 > the timeout, but it never hurts to check that, just to be sure.)
64 > When you do figure out the problem, please post what it was, as I'm
65 > curious, now.
66 >
67 > --
68 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
69 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
70 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
74 Duncan,
75 It's a great set of ideas. I'll work on that when i get a chance later today.
76
77 If you get a chance could you please post whatever script you run
78 to start X this way. I haven't done this in years and it will save me
79 some time researching it.
80
81 Thanks,
82 Mark