From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] hang up on generating modprobe.conf
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:10:07
1 On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 21:29 +0200, Simon Schäfer wrote:
2 > Why? Its used for the minimal installation cd of gentoo. (I got it from
3 > their .spec - file). This is exactly what i want a minimal linux system with
4 > nothing then a bootup that detects all my hardware loads all modules and as a
5 > plus it should have a xinit to start a x based application (yes i know adding
6 > X will increase the minimal CD by aprox. 25MB).
7
8 This is not what you will get. If you are not a member of Release
9 Engineering, you should *never* use gentoo-release-* for livecd/type as
10 they are custom tailored to produce the output Release Engineering
11 expects, including ignoring certain spec fields and overriding them.
12 You *must* use generic-livecd if producing a CD o fyour own, especially
13 one with X on it.
14
15 > We (me and my roommate) are trying to build a small gentoo-based bootcd with
16 > xinit. I hoped it could be easy to use catalyst, just some work on spec files
17 > and then let catalyst do all the work instead of our collection of shell
18 > scripts. I still hope it could be done this way couse sharing spec files is a
19 > lot easier then sharing shell scripts and a not so simple howto
20
21 It would be fairly easy if you weren't fighting catalyst. Use
22 livecd/type; generic-livecd and see things become dramatically easier
23 when stuff quits being done for you, assuming it'll be an official
24 Gentoo release and built 100% to Release Engineering standards and
25 practices.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
30 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
31 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
32 Gentoo Foundation