From: "Simon Schäfer" <SirTwist@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] hang up on generating modprobe.conf
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:25:34
1 > >this generating by hand is eating all my memory(2GB phys+2GB Swap) and
2 > > this very fast if i dont break with CTRL+C this will stop my pc from
3 > > working.
4 >
5 > Sorry? I have it too, but the automatic configuration isn't slowing that
6 > much. What happens exactly?
7 exactly? i posted everything that i can see in the console. But i can tell you
8 that this by hand tool is using /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf to generate it
9 by hand and this tool is starting a lot of sub threads and each subthread is
10 growing by its own. Then after ~1min of calculating stuff my memory is gone
11 and i have to reboot, becouse neither my mouse nor my keyboard is doing stuff
12
13 > This may cause problems in future builds, the behaviour of these types may
14 > change and be unexpected since it seems to be for internal use only,
15 > judging
16 Why? Its used for the minimal installation cd of gentoo. (I got it from
17 their .spec - file). This is exactly what i want a minimal linux system with
18 nothing then a bootup that detects all my hardware loads all modules and as a
19 plus it should have a xinit to start a x based application (yes i know adding
20 X will increase the minimal CD by aprox. 25MB).
21
22 We (me and my roommate) are trying to build a small gentoo-based bootcd with
23 xinit. I hoped it could be easy to use catalyst, just some work on spec files
24 and then let catalyst do all the work instead of our collection of shell
25 scripts. I still hope it could be done this way couse sharing spec files is a
26 lot easier then sharing shell scripts and a not so simple howto
27 --
28 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list