From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] changing inittab
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:04:01
1 On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 19:01 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > >> Normally, yes, it would only be good for kernel output, but as someone
5 > >> else mentioned, you have livecd-functions.sh that re-writes the inittab.
6 > >> Well, guess what triggers it? That's right, a "console=" option on the
7 > >> command line. If you type (or via catalyst, add) console=something,
8 > >> livecd-functions.sh (via functions.sh in baselayout) will interpret it
9 > >> and modify inittab accordingly before we ever even hit runlevel 3, so it
10 > >> starts a console on that serial line for login.
11 > >
12 > > So I tried setting 'livecd/bootargs: console=ttyS0,115200' in
13 > > installcd-stage2-minimal.spec and indeed it does setup a tty on the
14 > > serial line. However, it doesn't actually seem to pass "bootargs" to
15 > > the kernel or there is some other wierdness going on as the dmesg
16 > > information AND all of the sysvinit output remains only on the vga
17 > > console. The last output on the fbconsole is some wierd error message
18 > > about bootsplash right before attaching a tty to the serial line. This
19 > > is an improvement for me but I would really like to see the kernel
20 > > output/etc. so I can see if the boot processes has hung.
21 >
22 > You're positive that it's not being passed to the kernel? I'm pretty sure that
23 > livecd-tools would read it from /proc/cmdline, which is the arguments passed to
24 > the kernel. If it shows up in /proc/cmdline, then it's the kernel that isn't
25 > honoring it, not catalyst/genkernel/isolinux that is doing something wrong.
26
27 I think it is an ordering issue, rather than it not being passed. I
28 just checked the code and the splash code appends to the very end of the
29 kernel command line, meaning it takes precedence.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
34 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
35 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
36 Gentoo Foundation