From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] changing inittab
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:02:49
1 Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >> Normally, yes, it would only be good for kernel output, but as someone
4 >> else mentioned, you have livecd-functions.sh that re-writes the inittab.
5 >> Well, guess what triggers it? That's right, a "console=" option on the
6 >> command line. If you type (or via catalyst, add) console=something,
7 >> livecd-functions.sh (via functions.sh in baselayout) will interpret it
8 >> and modify inittab accordingly before we ever even hit runlevel 3, so it
9 >> starts a console on that serial line for login.
10 >
11 > So I tried setting 'livecd/bootargs: console=ttyS0,115200' in
12 > installcd-stage2-minimal.spec and indeed it does setup a tty on the
13 > serial line. However, it doesn't actually seem to pass "bootargs" to
14 > the kernel or there is some other wierdness going on as the dmesg
15 > information AND all of the sysvinit output remains only on the vga
16 > console. The last output on the fbconsole is some wierd error message
17 > about bootsplash right before attaching a tty to the serial line. This
18 > is an improvement for me but I would really like to see the kernel
19 > output/etc. so I can see if the boot processes has hung.
20
21 You're positive that it's not being passed to the kernel? I'm pretty sure that
22 livecd-tools would read it from /proc/cmdline, which is the arguments passed to
23 the kernel. If it shows up in /proc/cmdline, then it's the kernel that isn't
24 honoring it, not catalyst/genkernel/isolinux that is doing something wrong.
27 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
28 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
29 --
30 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list