From: Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] changing inittab
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:59:00
1 On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Normally, yes, it would only be good for kernel output, but as someone
3 > else mentioned, you have livecd-functions.sh that re-writes the inittab.
4 > Well, guess what triggers it? That's right, a "console=" option on the
5 > command line. If you type (or via catalyst, add) console=something,
6 > livecd-functions.sh (via functions.sh in baselayout) will interpret it
7 > and modify inittab accordingly before we ever even hit runlevel 3, so it
8 > starts a console on that serial line for login.
9
10 So I tried setting 'livecd/bootargs: console=ttyS0,115200' in
11 installcd-stage2-minimal.spec and indeed it does setup a tty on the
12 serial line. However, it doesn't actually seem to pass "bootargs" to
13 the kernel or there is some other wierdness going on as the dmesg
14 information AND all of the sysvinit output remains only on the vga
15 console. The last output on the fbconsole is some wierd error message
16 about bootsplash right before attaching a tty to the serial line. This
17 is an improvement for me but I would really like to see the kernel
18 output/etc. so I can see if the boot processes has hung.
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 -J