From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] changing inittab
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:02:23
1 On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:05 -1000, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:26:03PM -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Normally, yes, it would only be good for kernel output, but as someone
4 > > else mentioned, you have livecd-functions.sh that re-writes the inittab.
5 > > Well, guess what triggers it? That's right, a "console=" option on the
6 > > command line. If you type (or via catalyst, add) console=something,
7 > > livecd-functions.sh (via functions.sh in baselayout) will interpret it
8 > > and modify inittab accordingly before we ever even hit runlevel 3, so it
9 > > starts a console on that serial line for login.
10 >
11 > So I tried setting 'livecd/bootargs: console=ttyS0,115200' in
12 > installcd-stage2-minimal.spec and indeed it does setup a tty on the
13 > serial line. However, it doesn't actually seem to pass "bootargs" to
14 > the kernel or there is some other wierdness going on as the dmesg
15 > information AND all of the sysvinit output remains only on the vga
16 > console. The last output on the fbconsole is some wierd error message
17 > about bootsplash right before attaching a tty to the serial line. This
18 > is an improvement for me but I would really like to see the kernel
19 > output/etc. so I can see if the boot processes has hung.
20
21 Try it with nofb and let me know if it works. It looks like the problem
22 is the order in which the command line options are passed. If it does
23 work, file a bug asking me to reverse the order than custom arguments
24 get added with the splash arguments. Currently, the splash stuff is
25 always last. If the kernel has more than one "console=" line, the last
26 one gets the kernel output, so the splash one is getting it.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation