From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:56:03
1 On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 11:31 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > cg> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 09:45 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
5 > >> How are the modules to be included in the initrd computed?
6 > >>
7 > >> I'm seeing something strange where some of the modules in the real
8 > >> filesystem version of the /lib/modules/.../drivers/scsi are missing from
9 > >> the initrd filesystem version of the same directory; in particular one
10 > >> of the drivers for my SATA disks (ata_piix) is not there. Others are
11 > >> missing as well.
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> It's genkernel that's doing this, right? I'm trying to follow along in
15 > >> the gen_initrd.sh script but I can't quite see what it's doing WRT
16 > >> modules.
17 >
18 > cg> genkernel's /usr/share/genkernel/$arch/modules_load
19 >
20 > Got it, thanks. Is there any good way in catalyst to override that
21 > file, or do I have to create my own ebuild for it in an overlay?
22
23 There is no good way for a reason. We test them very extensively. Like
24 I said, newer genkernel versions have this updated. It's best to go
25 with the newer genkernel versions anyway, since the old ones will soon
26 be removed from portage and unsupported.
27
28 > cg> I recommend unmasking the latest genkernel 3.2.0_pre version and
29 > cg> using that, as it will be going stable shortly.
30 >
31 > I'll look into that; thanks.
32 >
33 > Just to be clear on this: I don't need to rebuild stage3 when I make a
34 > change like that right? Rebuilding livecd-stage1 (to get the new
35 > genkernel) and livecd-stage2 (to build the kernel/initrd) is good
36 > enough? I know it's good enough normally, just making sure that the
37 > kernel/initrd build isn't special in some way.
38
39 Actually, if you're using the latest catalyst, also, then you will only
40 need to rebuild livecd-stage2, since genkernel is explicitly merged in
41 livecd-stage2 with the proper USE flags.
42
43 > cg> I also recommend doing the same with the masked version of
44 > cg> catalyst.
45 >
46 > OK, I'll look into this as well. I really, really need to get my
47 > current iteration done today so I might not have time. I'll kick off a
48 > build in the background for this in another workspace though.
49
50 Merging catalyst takes about 30 seconds. The simple truth is that most
51 bugs you're going to run across in older catalyst versions will be fixed
52 in these pre-releases. They really are more stable than the current
53 stable versions, as you can see, we've gone through quite a few of the
54 _pre versions of both catalyst and genkernel, working out all the bugs
55 we found.
56
57 > cg> I *NEED* testers for these, as I plan on them going stable before
58 > cg> 2005.1 is released and I would love to resolve as many bugs in
59 > cg> them as possible.
60 >
61 > OK, although as you'll recall some of the stuff I'm doing is probably
62 > not anything you care much about supporting :-).
63
64 Nothing wrong with that. But more eyes and more users means less bugs
65 that slip through the cracks.
68 Chris Gianelloni
70 Games - Developer
71 Gentoo Linux