From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:32:39
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 09:45 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
4 >> How are the modules to be included in the initrd computed?
5 >>
6 >> I'm seeing something strange where some of the modules in the real
7 >> filesystem version of the /lib/modules/.../drivers/scsi are missing from
8 >> the initrd filesystem version of the same directory; in particular one
9 >> of the drivers for my SATA disks (ata_piix) is not there. Others are
10 >> missing as well.
13 >> It's genkernel that's doing this, right? I'm trying to follow along in
14 >> the gen_initrd.sh script but I can't quite see what it's doing WRT
15 >> modules.
16
17 cg> genkernel's /usr/share/genkernel/$arch/modules_load
18
19 Got it, thanks. Is there any good way in catalyst to override that
20 file, or do I have to create my own ebuild for it in an overlay?
21
22 cg> I recommend unmasking the latest genkernel 3.2.0_pre version and
23 cg> using that, as it will be going stable shortly.
24
25 I'll look into that; thanks.
26
27 Just to be clear on this: I don't need to rebuild stage3 when I make a
28 change like that right? Rebuilding livecd-stage1 (to get the new
29 genkernel) and livecd-stage2 (to build the kernel/initrd) is good
30 enough? I know it's good enough normally, just making sure that the
31 kernel/initrd build isn't special in some way.
32
33 cg> I also recommend doing the same with the masked version of
34 cg> catalyst.
35
36 OK, I'll look into this as well. I really, really need to get my
37 current iteration done today so I might not have time. I'll kick off a
38 build in the background for this in another workspace though.
39
40 cg> I *NEED* testers for these, as I plan on them going stable before
41 cg> 2005.1 is released and I would love to resolve as many bugs in
42 cg> them as possible.
43
44 OK, although as you'll recall some of the stuff I'm doing is probably
45 not anything you care much about supporting :-).
49 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
50 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
52 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
53 --
54 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list