From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:56:51
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> Do what catalyst does. Bind mount it.
4
5 Yes, that would work for /usr/portage, but I'm still missing all the
6 emerge, etc. commands.
7
8 >> How do you all develop and test live CDs? Is there some trick to
9 >> getting a test image available? Or, do you do development via another
10 >> method and only start using catalyst when everything pretty much works?
11
12 cg> Honestly, I've been doing catalyst development (and use) long
13 cg> enough that I pretty much know what to expect. When something
14 cg> doesn't work, I rebuild the entire image each time. The reason
15 cg> for this is simple. I do not want to do *any* manual steps
16 cg> outside of catalyst, since it'll do nothing but give you trouble
17 cg> in the long run.
18
19 This is good if you're just debugging catalyst itself, but I've got a
20 whole set of steps such as creating and debugging some ebuilds,
21 configuring things, creating rc scripts to do some stuff, etc. etc.
22
23 Obviously at the end it needs to build and boot correctly "from scratch"
24 but doing it from scratch for every incremental change is pretty slow.
27 If there are no fancy tricks that I'm missing I'm sure I can come up
28 with some myself :-).
32 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
33 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
35 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
36 --
37 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list