From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:06:37
1 On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 14:34 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > Right now I'm working on getting some other packages installed into the
3 > livecd. The problem I'm having is that there doesn't seem to be any
4 > fully usable "test environment" that reflects the livecd I can use for
5 > development. What I'm looking for is something that has the contents of
6 > the livecd, but that also has the Portage database and tools installed
7 > so that I can work with emerge, ebuild, etc. and get new packages
8 > installed and working the way I want them to.
9
10 You could just copy the portage tree into your livecd-stage1 directory.
11
12 > I can see the livecd-stage1, for example, leaves behind an image that I
13 > could chroot to, but it's missing all the portage info so I can't really
14 > do much in terms of testing there.
15
16 Do what catalyst does. Bind mount it.
17
18 > How do you all develop and test live CDs? Is there some trick to
19 > getting a test image available? Or, do you do development via another
20 > method and only start using catalyst when everything pretty much works?
21
22 Honestly, I've been doing catalyst development (and use) long enough
23 that I pretty much know what to expect. When something doesn't work, I
24 rebuild the entire image each time. The reason for this is simple. I
25 do not want to do *any* manual steps outside of catalyst, since it'll do
26 nothing but give you trouble in the long run.
29 Chris Gianelloni
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux