From: C S <nd_stew@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst vs Knoppix Confusion
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:25:20
1 Thanks, I checked out Caster, looks like what I'm
2 looking for. a quality Live and should give Knoppix
3 based distro's a challenge (pkg mgt). It even uses
4 Catalyst, not sure how this is given Chris' remarks!?
5 I'm trying to see if Zaheer will enlighten us on just
6 how he did it.
7
8 Downloaded Hardened, since the Releng team doesn't
9 look like they'll have anything soon I think the magic
10 lies somewhere between Hardened and Zaheer's approach.
13 I won't give up too easily before being forced to
14 Knoppix and in the mean-time want to be persistent
15 with Hardened. Hardened looks like a good
16 going-forward chance to a Knoppix look-a-like and even
17 with an official ;) Gentoo!
18
19 Now the next question, Hardened Remastering... Can I
20 just tweak the spec files for package adds/deletes
21 after copying to a hd and then back to an iso? Anyone
22 try this, I'm sure it's not that simple, blood, sweat,
23 tears...
24
25 cs
28 --- Robert Paskowitz <rpaskowitz@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
29
30 > C S wrote:
31 >
32 > >I'm so close to dumping my Fedora... and have spent
33 > >literally hours looking at Catalyst and Gentoo
34 > >Live-CD's and their threads.
35 > >
36 > >This is what I want. A remasterable "Knoppix like"
37 > CD
38 > >for which I can build my own CD distro. I've
39 > loaded
40 > >2004.3 and 2005.0 just to discover each a
41 > >"Installation like" CD. I DO NOT WANT AN
42 > INSTALLATION
43 > >LIVE-CD. How do I make this leap with Gentoo?
44 > From
45 > >my surfin it looks like Catalyst should handle it.
46 > >
47 > >There's a lot of threads on this... yet kindof
48 > >inconclusive. The best hack I've found if I can't
49 > >make Catalyst work is:
52 >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837&highlight=catalyst
53 > >
54 > >I prefer the "official" method, but what is it?
55 > Can
56 > >anyone point me to the best Catalyst or
57 > Non-Catalyst
58 > >Howto for such Gentoo Live-CD's? I'll even write
59 > it!
60 > >
61 > >And be gentle, I'm a Gentoo Newbie!
62 > >
63 > >TIA,
64 > >
65 > >cs
69 > >__________________________________
70 > >Do you Yahoo!?
71 > >Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced
72 > search. Learn more.
73 > >http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
74 > >--
75 > >gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list
79 > Catalyst is merely the CD generation tool.
80 > Currently, Gentoo produces no
81 > official Knoppix-Like LiveCD's, although I do
82 > believe one is planned. If
83 > you want to make one, you basically need to add the
84 > desired packages to
85 > the spec files.
86 >
87 > While there aren't any official CDs like you want
88 > (apart from the
89 > GameCDs), there are some CDs. One of the most
90 > notable CDs is caster,
91 > available at
92 > http://zaheer.merali.org/mediawiki/index.php/Caster.
93 > There
94 > is also the CD I have been working on for the
95 > Hardened team. It is
96 > currently available on the gentoo mirrors at
97 > experimental/x86/hardened/livecd/. If you want to
98 > see the files used to
99 > produced the CD, they are available at
100 > http://livecd.confucius.ca . This
101 > CD, once it's done testing will likely become an
102 > official CD for
103 > Hardened, but is completely seperate from the Releng
104 > team, so don't
105 > bother them :) . Also, there is a README for this
106 > CD, available at
107 > http://snipurl.com/cyc0.
108 >
109 > Robert
110 > --
111 > gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list
119 Do you Yahoo!?
120 Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less.
121 http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
122 --
123 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list