From: Robert Paskowitz <rpaskowitz@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst vs Knoppix Confusion
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:28:26
1 C S wrote:
2
3 >I'm so close to dumping my Fedora... and have spent
4 >literally hours looking at Catalyst and Gentoo
5 >Live-CD's and their threads.
6 >
7 >This is what I want. A remasterable "Knoppix like" CD
8 >for which I can build my own CD distro. I've loaded
9 >2004.3 and 2005.0 just to discover each a
10 >"Installation like" CD. I DO NOT WANT AN INSTALLATION
11 >LIVE-CD. How do I make this leap with Gentoo? From
12 >my surfin it looks like Catalyst should handle it.
13 >
14 >There's a lot of threads on this... yet kindof
15 >inconclusive. The best hack I've found if I can't
16 >make Catalyst work is:
17 >
18 >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837&highlight=catalyst
19 >
20 >I prefer the "official" method, but what is it? Can
21 >anyone point me to the best Catalyst or Non-Catalyst
22 >Howto for such Gentoo Live-CD's? I'll even write it!
23 >
24 >And be gentle, I'm a Gentoo Newbie!
25 >
26 >TIA,
27 >
28 >cs
32 >__________________________________
33 >Do you Yahoo!?
34 >Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.
35 >http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
36 >--
37 >gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list
41 Catalyst is merely the CD generation tool. Currently, Gentoo produces no
42 official Knoppix-Like LiveCD's, although I do believe one is planned. If
43 you want to make one, you basically need to add the desired packages to
44 the spec files.
45
46 While there aren't any official CDs like you want (apart from the
47 GameCDs), there are some CDs. One of the most notable CDs is caster,
48 available at http://zaheer.merali.org/mediawiki/index.php/Caster. There
49 is also the CD I have been working on for the Hardened team. It is
50 currently available on the gentoo mirrors at
51 experimental/x86/hardened/livecd/. If you want to see the files used to
52 produced the CD, they are available at http://livecd.confucius.ca . This
53 CD, once it's done testing will likely become an official CD for
54 Hardened, but is completely seperate from the Releng team, so don't
55 bother them :) . Also, there is a README for this CD, available at
56 http://snipurl.com/cyc0.
57
58 Robert
59 --