From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] [rfc] simplifying arch classes
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:25:41
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 >> This is certainly not the case. Let me be clear, mistakes in the
3 >> current code come from having the same CFLAG, CHOST, etc strings
4 >> duplicated in many places. Refactoring the code would allow us to
5 >> catch mistakes like
6 >> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/catalyst.git;a=commit;h=db4323146ce27362948de6eab57e1dbe28240bde
7 >> much more quickly.
8 >>
9 >> It seems to me that test coverage would be much simpler if the classes
10 >> were refactored, since various combinations would use nearly identical
11 >> code paths.
12 >
13 > It would make some code pathes being taken more often but still leave
14 > the "leafes" ontouched without a test for each leaf.  Right?
15 >
16 > What could work though is a throw-away test for refactoring only, say
17 > writing a piece of code making a text file listing all combination of
18 > CFLAGS offered from targets.  If after the refactoring you get the very
19 > same text file out, that's a good indicator.  Is the idea clear?
20
21 Yep, that should work and wouldn't be very much work. That seems like
22 a good idea.
23
24 Thanks!
25 Matt