From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] [rfc] simplifying arch classes
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:18:46
1 On 06/27/2011 07:58 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > There seems to be an implicit assumption that the current code has
3 > some kind of working test cases. :)
4
5 I'm aware that I'm asking for test cases in context that seems to lack
6 proper testing.
9 > This is certainly not the case. Let me be clear, mistakes in the
10 > current code come from having the same CFLAG, CHOST, etc strings
11 > duplicated in many places. Refactoring the code would allow us to
12 > catch mistakes like
13 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/catalyst.git;a=commit;h=db4323146ce27362948de6eab57e1dbe28240bde
14 > much more quickly.
15 >
16 > It seems to me that test coverage would be much simpler if the classes
17 > were refactored, since various combinations would use nearly identical
18 > code paths.
19
20 It would make some code pathes being taken more often but still leave
21 the "leafes" ontouched without a test for each leaf. Right?
22
23 What could work though is a throw-away test for refactoring only, say
24 writing a piece of code making a text file listing all combination of
25 CFLAGS offered from targets. If after the refactoring you get the very
26 same text file out, that's a good indicator. Is the idea clear?
27
28 Best,
32 Sebastian