From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] run without root?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:48:27
1 On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:49 -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > I appreciate your answer. However, I wish that developers would stop
3 > assuming we all have developing abilities. mine are limited to basic
4 > shell scripting. I may learn other scripting languages at some point
5 > but I don't have time now, and this isn't that big of an issue.
6
7 ...and I wish that non-developers would quit assuming that developers
8 are going to do everything for them just because they request it or
9 think it might be cool. *grin*
10
11 Being able to run as a non-root user isn't important for catalyst's
12 primary development goals, which are to facilitate Gentoo releases.
13
14 You have a few options:
15
16 #1. Run catalyst on your own box, not one where someone else is admin
17 #2. VMware Server (it's free, you know)
18 #3. hack catalyst locally
19 #4. hire someone to do the work for you
20 #5. bribe a catalyst developer to do it for you
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
25 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
26 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
27 Gentoo Foundation